Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Being a Child in the Renaisance

Being born a peasant in a family of eight, I'm always expected to work on the fields as soon as I get out of bed every day. It has become such a routine for me in a way that boredom has just become an ordinary emotion. My dad died when he was 30, leaving my mom single-handedly raise the six of us. Two of my siblings grew ill and passed away at a young age, so it's not a happy story from the beginning. I mean, life can be so unfair! I have been observing life around here and noticed that we as children have no rights at all! We're always expected to dress and act like adults; based on our background we're expected to do certain tasks that our parents have  previously planned for us. At least I feel better still having my mother, for I have a friend who is raised in an orphanage because was born to a slave mother.

Today as any other ordinary day, I woke up and hurried myself to the field. However on the way, I've encountered a merchant from down south. He asked me for directions and I gladly helped him. We talked a little bit more and then for some reason, he invited me to come with him, giving the reason that I can "accompany him for the day" since he didn't know this area that well. He offered to pay me so why not took the job, right?

He told me stories about where he comes from and what it's like to be a merchant. He said that he takes his job seriously and all, yet he spares some time for traveling and learning different cultures. He had just arrived here yesterday so now he was trying to browse about the city to see what it could offer. In appreciation for his eagerness, I attentively took him to famous locations and introduced him our local special goods. I also told him about my family and how us children have no rights; his reaction was priceless. Another interesting story he told me, about how children are raised differently from where he's from: children are meant to play and shielded from the worries of the world; they are to work hard at their studies to prepare for their future. Education is extremely important there, and noble children often go to school four to six hours a day; they attend university at the age of fifteen. At school, they are trained under a disciplinary and harsh environment. Furthermore, they are also taught the ways of warrior and courtier, which includes riding, swordmanship, dancing, and the arts of war. The sad thing is, it's not that much different for peasants so I guess I was destined to be born this way.

Another thing I found extremely intriguing is that noble children there marry at an early age with the purpose of gaining power and prosperity for their family and produce heirs to continue dynasties. In the end, I guess we are all born to do certain tasks; tasks that are already planned beforehand. If you're lucky enough to be born a noble, your life will be luxurious - yet it takes a greater endurance of training and hardwork. If you're born a peasant than all you'll do is do field work or take care of the households until you marry and have kids and pass away. If you're born an artist, then you're especially trained to be a good one at a young age. If you're born to merchant parents than you're especially trained to be a good merchant at a young age, also. All children are expected to do what their parents want them to, they have no choice at all!
Source:
Children of the Renaissance

No comments:

Post a Comment